The main part of the College is in a single purpose-built unit, designed by top London architects. It sits to the right of the Malthouse with a striking mixture of weathered concrete and glass intended to preserve the gentle industrial feel of the site. The oak-floored main corridors look out on the landscaped central courtyard, a meeting place for students and a site for open-air presentations, plays and recitals.
All student living accommodation is within this signature building, as are the common rooms, separate study areas, music practice areas and a medical facility. Some teachers, notably the Principals, one Assistant and a Matron are housed in two of the corners.
Student bedrooms are mainly double and en-suite.
The classrooms are fully equipped, flexible places allowing for a mixture of traditional learning, digital research, personal interaction and discussion.
The College will use the Malthouse for dining, science, art and, of course, drama.
The recently approved conversion of the Victorian Malthouse received unanimous backing from Canterbury City Council, especially with the reinstatement of some of its architectural features.
Councillor Ian Thomas said “It’s a superb use of the site which will bring it back to life.“
The architects are retaining or restoring many of the building’s original features, except that it will now be full of creative young people and will contain drama workspaces and other teaching areas, as well as a 350-seat theatre of the highest quality. Drama at King’s is always of a very high quality, but this new development will provide the King’s community with even more opportunities to expand and excel.
The Boat Club uses Westbere Lakes at Sturry, about two miles from the School. There is a boathouse for rowing, and another for sailing, shared with the local sailing club.
Directions to Westbere Lakes
As well as its own grounds, the School makes use of several other excellent sports facilities in and around Canterbury. These include: –
Polo Farm Sports Club on the Littlebourne Road which is the home of Canterbury Cricket, Lawn Tennis and Mens & Ladies Hockey Clubs.
Royal St. George’s at Sandwich, Canterbury and Broughton Golf Clubs.
St. Lawrence Ground, home of Kent County Cricket Club.
Birley’s Field, named after Norman Birley (Headmaster of The King’s School 1927-35) who bought the land in 1927, is the main playing field.
It comprises 22 acres and is used at various times for rugby, football, hockey, lacrosse, cricket, athletics and rounders. There are hard courts for tennis and netball; an artificial grass hockey pitch (also used for tennis courts); a grass athletics track with tartan field event facilities; and 3 grass cricket squares, artificial grass wickets and 24 practice cricket wickets.
The pavilion was opened in September 2005 by David Gower.
Blore's Recreation Centre
Blore’s Field, named after George Blore (Headmaster of The King’s School 1873-86), has been used by The King’s School for over a hundred years.
The Recreation Centre was opened in 1990 by the Duchess of Kent.
Indoors facilities: Sports Hall; Swimming Pool (25m x 12m); Squash Courts; Fencing salle; Fitness Suite; Dance studio
Outdoor facilities: Climbing Wall; Tennis/Netball Courts; Artificial Grass Hockey Pitch (Autumn and Lent) converting to Tennis Courts (Summer); and a Shooting Range.
This facility is managed by a Recreation Centre Manager. The Centre operates a community membership scheme for the public, details of which are available at: King’s School Recreation Centre