In line with Government Guidance, we have carried out a Coronavirus (Covid-19) Risk Assessment for our schools. It is regularly updated including following the implementation of the National Restrictions. A summary of the results can be found below, the headings for which reflect our Staying Covid-19 Secure commitment.
Coronavirus Risk Assessment:
- Reminding our school community (staff, pupils, parents / carers / guardians, visitors and contractors) that anyone with symptoms listed in government guidance, must not access our school sites, this applies equally to anyone who is required to isolate;
- Updating and communicating our staff and pupil wellbeing provisions;
- Ensuring our staff have an individual risk assessment where appropriate;
- Minimising contact and mixing by grouping pupils into ‘bubbles’ (a bubble is a consistent group of pupils which stays away from other people and groups);
- Ensuring appropriate consultation and communication with our school community including via the Risk Committee and Health and Safety Committee;
- Ensuring departmental procedures (including for our catering and transport functions and our Recreation Centre) are updated to include the coronavirus hazard and associated control measures;
- Updating boarding procedures and signing up to the bsa Covid Safe Charter;
- Establishing procedures and responsibilities for engaging with NHS Test and Trace;
- Establishing processes required to respond to a local outbreak including ensuring we can immediately re-establish on line learning;
- Updating contractor and visitor policies.
Cleaning, Handwashing and Hygiene Procedures:
- Enhancing our cleaning procedures in line with government guidance;
- Using meticulous cleaning and / or quarantine for shared items;
- Installing additional handwashing facilities, adopting handwashing protocols (reinforced by briefings and signage) and providing sanitiser at key locations;
- Ensuring good respiratory hygiene by promoting the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach.
A Covid-19 Secure Workplace and Working from Home:
- Reviewing and adapting our physical environment including one ways systems, keep left protocol, additional catering facilities and increased use of outdoor spaces;
- Updating our Health Centre procedures including the actions to be taken in the event of a suspected or actual Covid-19 case;
- Encouraging staff and pupils to follow government guidelines when travelling to and from school;
- Taking reasonable steps to help people work from home where appropriate;
- Staff who are clinically extremely vulnerable are advised to work from home and not to attend work during the period of National Restrictions.
2m Social Distancing and Mitigating Actions to Manage Transmission Risk:
- Reinforcing the requirement for staff to maintain 2m social distance from each other and pupils;
- Re-arranging classrooms to prioritise forward facing seating;
- Issuing policy on the wearing of face coverings in school and instructing staff and pupils on the safe use;
- Installing screens as appropriate (at reception desks and catering serveries for example);
- Prioritising the use of natural ventilation (opening windows and doors) whilst continuing to maintain fire safety measures;
- Updating first aid provision and procedures in line with appropriate guidance.
During these un-precedented times we continue to comply with our other statutory duties in line with our Health and Safety Policy.