The main part of the College is in a single purpose-built unit, designed by top London architects. It sits to the right of the Malthouse with a striking mixture of weathered concrete and glass intended to preserve the gentle industrial feel of the site. The oak-floored main corridors look out on the landscaped central courtyard, a meeting place for students and a site for open-air presentations, plays and recitals.
All student living accommodation is within this signature building, as are the common rooms, separate study areas, music practice areas and a medical facility. Some teachers, notably the Principals, one Deputy and a Matron are housed in two of the corners.
Student bedrooms are mainly twin and en-suite.
The classrooms are fully equipped, flexible places allowing for a mixture of traditional learning, digital research, personal interaction and discussion.
The College uses the Malthouse building for dining, Science, and Art.
An original 19th-century malthouse, the building was carefully restored and now houses our dining hall, Science and Art classrooms, as well as the King’s School’s 350-seat theatre.
With many of the original features retained, the building is very atmospheric and allows us to have Christmas Dinners and other events in impressive surroundings.
Together with our purpose-built College and the Sports Hall, it completes the Malthouse Campus.
Malthouse Sports Hall
The campus sports hall adjacent to the College is home to the King’s School’s fencing club. Fencing is one of the most popular sports at the College, but students also enjoy many other sports, including some recreational basketball in the evenings after prep.
College students also have access to the King’s School’s recreation centre, which is a mere two-minute walk down St Stephen’s road. From swimming to early morning rowing before breakfast, students are able to participate in a huge array of activities in this fabulous facility. The centre is simply called “The Rec” by students and staff.
The main pitches, called “Birley’s” by the school community, provide the location for a large number of the weekly games sessions attended by all IC and King’s students.
Rowing and sailing are hugely popular among IC students. For both sports, the King’s School Boat Club uses Westbere Lakes at Sturry, about two miles from the IC.
Birley’s Field, named after Norman Birley (Headmaster of The King’s School 1927-35) who bought the land in 1927, is the main playing field.
It comprises 22 acres and is used at various times for rugby, football, hockey, lacrosse, cricket, athletics and rounders. There are hard courts for tennis and netball; an artificial grass hockey pitch (also used for tennis courts); a grass athletics track with tartan field event facilities; and 3 grass cricket squares, artificial grass wickets and 24 practice cricket wickets.
The pavilion was opened in September 2005 by David Gower.
Blore's Recreation Centre
Blore’s Field, named after George Blore (Headmaster of The King’s School 1873-86), has been used by The King’s School for over a hundred years.
The Recreation Centre was opened in 1990 by the Duchess of Kent.
Indoor facilities: Sports Hall; Swimming Pool (25m x 12m); Squash Courts; Fencing salle; Fitness Suite; Dance studio
Outdoor facilities: Climbing Wall; Tennis/Netball Courts; Artificial Grass Hockey Pitch (Autumn and Lent) converting to Tennis Courts (Summer); and a Shooting Range.
This facility is managed by a Recreation Centre Manager.